The Gloucestershire Golf Union (GGU) was originally founded in 1906 and exists to represent male golfers in the county and to promote the game of golf.
The GGU is the link with
England Golf which has many responsibilities, not least the development and application of the National Handicapping Scheme (CONGU).
What does the GGU do?
Apart from acting as the link between England Golf and the forty
affiliated clubs, the GGU does a great deal including;
- Organising championships and tournaments including championships for Juniors, Foursomes, Seniors as well as a County Championship held each year.
- Promoting members’ association golf days - held three times a year.
The GGU County Card - allowing significantly reduced fees for playing at over 1,000 clubs across England and Wales.
- The promotion of county golfers to play for Gloucestershire in the men’s first and second teams, as well as the juniors and seniors teams.
- Coaching and junior development.
- Seminars and golf information - an annual seminar is held for Junior Organisers in February and the GGU are on hand to deal with all sorts of questions from course rating to Lottery funding. The Secretary is available to come and talk to handicap committees regarding the CONGU Unified Handicap System, rules of golf, amateur status rules and to help you with your local rules. He also runs a bi-annual rules school for those wishing to take their rules exams.
- Arranging the annual County Dinner in November traditionally attended by the President of England Golf.
- Every affiliated club within the county is represented at regular council meetings held by the GGU and the GGU have representatives that regularly attend England Golf meetings.
Who runs the GGU?
An executive committee runs the GGU’s affairs alongside a full-time, salaried County Secretary.
The current committee is made up of the following people:
President - Alan Robinson
President Elect - Tim Clink
Hon. Treasurer - John Bennett
Secretary - James Macpherson
Captain - Gary Ward
Chairman - Ian Cornwell
Championship Chairman - Dereck Buttler
Coaching Chairman - David Hares
Junior Representative - Mark Powell
Seniors Team Captain - Rob Stephens
Assistant Secretary - Mike Doyle-Davidson
Welfare Officer - Ian Watkins
Executive Committee - Mike Slatter
Executive Committee - Tony Davis
How is the GGU funded?
The GGU and England Golf are financed through levies, which are paid by every affiliated club in England.
Would you like to know more?
Simply speak to your County Representative, their name and contact details can be found in the
County Year Book.
You can also view our latest e-newsletters which go out monthly to our affiliated golf clubs: